This is perhaps the first thing Apple/Tim Cook has done where I can honestly say that “this would have NEVER happened under Steve Jobs’ watch.”
Tim Cook released a public apology to Apple’s iOS 6 customers.
If Steve Jobs was still with us, this is how it would go:
- Everyone involved with the Maps app would have shrapnel from Steve’s sneakers embedded in their ass.
- Neither Steve, nor anyone else at Apple, would have any comment on Maps app; other than to say how wonderful it is, and how they hear from customers who love it.
- In six months, we would have an update to the Maps app that would greatly improve it. Still no comment from Steve or Apple on Maps app.
- At the iOS event next year, where Steve announces iOS 7, he would stand up on stage and proclaim: “Maps was gorgeous, and we’ve had an incredible response from customers about it. But we’ve made it even better, and today I’m going to show it to you. By the way, Maps 2.0 is free, and available for download… TODAY!” Giant applause from crowd would last 5 minutes.
- The Maps app development lead at Apple would soon be seen on LinkedIn listing Motel6 IT Manager as his new position.
I don’t know if Tim Cook’s apology is a good thing or a bad thing for Apple, just a different thing. And certainly something we would have never seen from Steve Jobs.